Why do I hate traveling in India???

Sunday, December 7, 2008

I don't want to travel again for the next few months... but considering my rotten luck, i can't escape it because i still have one and half hour journey to suffer if i want to go to college. Traveling was never my cup of tea. I don't really mind several days road trip where you take the car and hit the road but buses, planes and trains put me off! However, I would prefer planes to buses or trains even though it brings out the best out of my motion sickness...atleast I'm not wasting a lot of time in traveling. I'm especially averse to buses post the 2005 Maharashtra floods which turned the usual 18 hour journey to over 32 hours!!!!!It was definitely the worst traveling experience.

Over the past 3 weeks, I've visited Bangalore twice and then Mysore taking the train on both occasions. Bangalore and Mysore are 357 km 248 km away from Mangalore respectively. Nevertheless, by train it takes around 8-9 hours to Mysore and 10-11 hours to Bangalore and by car i think it'll hardly be 60 or 90 minutes less!!!! What really frustrates me is that why can't we have darn good roads???It'll make traveling faster and cheaper since you can just take the car and hit the road. When I say the roads should be good, you should easily be able to drive at 200 km/hr or atleast 120 km/hr for starters. At that rate, At that rate one can reach Mysore in 2 hrs and Bangalore in 3 hrs at the rate of 120 km/hr. However, if one intends to take rest, it might take half an hour more i suppose.

And this frustration is not easy to suppress, since I still have to travel from Nitte to Mangalore which is mere 57 km away. and it takes me 90 minutes!!!!!!!!sometimes even 120 minutes!!!!!!!!!Why can't we have very good roads????why????why????why?????Ok...now i have an overwhelming urge to compare this against Saudi Arabia, where we always used to travel city to city by car. From Madinah to Riyadh it would take 13 hours to cover 1200 km with a couple of breaks for rest!!!! Forget Saudi Arabia and take any other American or European cities as example! But, as many will point out and state my comparison is misplaced giving me a dirty look....why???because India is a developing country!!! India- has the third largest military force in the world and touted to be the rising economic superpower et al is still developing at an excruciatingly small pace when it comes to giving the taxpayers their money's worth by providing us with atleast good roads.

As of now, I'm dying to see what the NH 17 will be like after the concrete roads and 4 lanes etc. But, tell me honestly will that day ever come where you can drive at 200 km/hr without getting trampled by a dozen other vehicles! It's not like I'm urging that everyone should drive so fast but even if one wanted they can't!!!!! Personally, I think the country made cars will reach the speed of 120 itself with great difficulty....

And that's why traveling in India is a curse, roads are terrible!!!!!! They take up hell lot of your precious time and you can't risk driving fancy cars on such roads. You would probably have 2-3 parts hanging by the time you reach home. If the roads were really good, I wouldn't have to stay in the hostel. I would travel everyday to college!!! And ok...if you want us to stop complaining and travel by trains!!!!Please please pest control them....it's disgusting to see cockroaches crawling all over the place. However, like the Ticket collector states that one is lucky if they haven't spotted the abundant rats yet!!!!

At any rate, Mysore was worth the train journey....It's a very nice, serene place not like Bangalore. I could go on and on trashing Bangalore which I would in some other upcoming post. It's a great place to be if one likes to observe buildings or monuments which have near perfect architecture and brilliant finishing and the weather is really pleasant too.

Before i start off with another parallel chain of thoughts, I'll just sign off. Crunch mode up ahead...wish me luck!

Sayonara

Technorati Tags: ,,,

2 comments:

Unknown said...

travel less... less pollution...go green!

Vinay S, Associate Profesor and Head, Dept of CSE, PESITM, Shivamogga said...

Very true sir:-):-)

By the time 4 lane gets over, number of vehicles would have quadrupled and need of the hour then will be 6 or 8 lanes :-)

 
Design by Pocket