The Chronicle of Escapades: Bunking Classes

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Just the other day was chatting with two of my close friends on Google Talk who are now studying in US and Canada. It brought up some very fond memories of our pre university days. One of them was the official bunker of our class! How many classes he bunked yet never got shortage. Whereas we would plot and plan and sometimes miserably fail to bunk.

For instance, there was this guy in our Hindi class who once tried to bunk through the back door as soon as our teacher entered. Unfortunately for him, he was so busy looking out for her, that he banged right into, none other than, the Head of Department of Hindi. LOL! It was certainly the most hilarious thing.

Another time, Sanam and I finally decided to skip the Physics class. Those classes were unbearable to me after I was condemned to the first bench and the lecturer was super weird( after 2 years of being our class guide, he asked us if we were the PCMC or PCMB batch!)… he used to freak me out as always. After a lot of debating we thought lets just skip it and grab a sugarcane juice and go home. Sadly, too late, because he was already waiting outside for the bell to ring and enter our class. However, the daredevils we were, we decided to sneak out through the back door and ran straight towards the pillar and hid behind it. We thought we would slowly slink away after he enters. Too bad, it didn’t work out that way. He saw us hiding behind the pillar and we didn’t know whether he saw or not. After a short game of peek-a-boo hiding behind the pillars, we ended up attending the class. This was a better option instead of going with a leave note next day and explaining the peek-a-boo  game! And yeah… I got a lot of amused looks from him in class! Drat!

Golden rule of bunking was to last the entire day without being seen by that particular teacher whose class we bunked else we would be dead meat while handing in our leave notes the next day. On yet another occasion,when Sanam and I bunked Hindi and were off with our French class friends ( they were always free! I was so envious), the entire day was an harrowing experience of dodging the teacher as we nearly seemed to run into her the whole time. Our luck lasted till evening until we spotted her coming up the slope where we were standing in the middle of a crossroad and all four of us, who were leisurely conferring about yet another function, ran for our lives in four different directions within a fraction of second!

Comparatively, in engineering, the scenario is much better, you don’t need to worry about leave notes. Nevertheless, I’m not a chronic class skipper. I’ve known to have 96-100% attendance in a lot of my classes, just as long as it is worth sitting. In fact I  attend all classes even if the attendance is not an issue because of some real good teachers who “actually” and “really” teach! I only feel like bunking when I feel that I’m just pointlessly attending class or I’m feeling sleepy or hungry or if I want to run home soon. Last semester, I attended most classes purely for the sake of attendance save for 1 or 2 classes. Hopefully, this semester should be different since we are having some new teachers (fingers crossed). Aargh!!! College begins tomorrow! I hate getting back and dealing with a lot of nutters on a daily basis! So long then bunk safely and most importantly, reasonably… If the teacher is sad, try to get a change instead of going on a bunking spree.

3 comments:

Vasudev Kamath said...

>> I’ve known to have 96-100% attendance in a lot of my classes
In java labs we saw only during the lab sessional. We didn't even know you were in our batch :D .. And I think you got only 75% attendence in it rie ;) (After PUC you finally able bunk so much of classes)

NR said...

those days are the best in life....nothing can really come close to school and college days

Ni said...

@vasudev
See, something or the other kept coming up on the day of java labs...placements and stuff like that. In reality i bunked only 2 labs :)

 
Design by Pocket