Ramblings of an overflowing mind-part 1.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Another couple of months and I'll finally be well on my way to become an engineer. The past four years have been so amazing and I can hardly believe that time flies so fast. When I joined engineering, I just knew get a B.E degree then do MBA at country's finest business school and then life is set. But...something unpredictable happened.

Somewhere down the line, amidst the tryst with computers and technology, I fell in love with it. Never did I once imagined that I would begin to love the technology surrounding us with such ardent fervor. You know you're an engineer when you see a camera that shoots when you smile automatically and immediately start thinking what's it about and how's implemented instead of just sitting awestruck; When someone mentions some problem and your mind immediately starts racing...thinking about what can be done...cannot be done...several tradeoffs...overhead etc.

bill gates

I can't exactly say I've always wanted to be an engineer. I remember in grade 5, my dad introducing the computer to me and telling me about Bill Gates, the richest guy at 18 and how he did it all. It held a fascination for me which I can never really express in words. That was the time of Windows 3.1.1. Then, after making up my mind to be a doctor and an investigative journalist, I finally settled on computer science and engineering. Whoever knows me will vouch for the fact that I'm a confirmed Microsoft evangelist...Seen Windows from 3.1.1 to Vista and the journey it embarked on has been really the stuff dreams are made up of. Though the world may condemn Bill Gates as a capitalist and so on, I've always held him in high regard and thought that he's a brilliant combination of an excellent programmer and a very good entrepreneur. For me, Bill Gates is Microsoft. He's long left the running affairs of his company but he's still around, isn't he? After him, I really cannot envisage Microsoft.Well...there's still Steve Ballmer but even then.

This year, however, I can say that some sort of a funny transformation seems to have taken place which I think is good. I'm flexible now...ready to try Linux and Mac perhaps. Now, it's not like I want to give Linux a chance due to the aforementioned reasons but only because I really love technology and I want to learn new stuff without any prejudices and really appreciate it for what it is. I've used Linux very briefly but my inclination has always been heavily towards Windows due to the aforementioned. It also caters to my need of daily dose of excitement. Running Windows without antivirus is exhilarating... It keeps me on my toes...It provides me with constant challenges and urges me to dig deeper and deeper into the system looking for some malware or viruses. Now, Windows security is not all that bad provided you're using a genuine version but it's just that I'm paranoid and I love dissecting it. I've been using Vista for quite a long time without an antivirus without any serious security issues. If you ask me...the root of most security issues, considering any operating system,  lies between the keyboard and the chair. If you're click-happy, may God save you from impending doom!

Ah!At any rate, I've rambled enough for part 1. So adios!

3 comments:

Sushant said...

Bill gates was my ideal too when I was in college during my BE. I was fascinated by how he changed the world and created unprecedented wealth for himself and his company. I use to think he was some kind of angel but as I looked deeper it became clear he too is a mortal. I respect him for what he has done but not how he has done it. Anyway if you are interested you must watch this movie
"Pirates of the silicon valley" It is a must watch for techno geeks and tells us the story of Microsoft and Apple. I think you will like it.

Ni said...

I haven't watched it yet but i'll definitely will, soon..

Unknown said...

nice post...
well Bill gates is genious!!
and the movie sushant has metioned is good one!!


www.computertricks.co.nr

 
Design by Pocket