Windows Live SkyDrive

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Today, I decided to upload all project related files on Windows Live SkyDrive instead of mailing it to all my team members. I could’ve set up a Google group, I know. But I use my live id primarily. I hardly ever use my Gmail id. There is life beyond Gmail and very good one at that. Lets talk about SkyDrive in this post.

SkyDrive is an excellent storage media integrated into Windows Live. From your Mail page you can choose More at the top and choose SkyDrive from the drop down to use it. It offers a storage space of 25 GB. The interface looks like this:

 skydrive1 

Files or photos can be uploaded and shared. You can either select the existing folders or create a new folder by choosing Create Folder on top, enter the name and set the permissions.

image

To upload files, navigate to required folder, Click on Add files, choose a file and upload it! Maximum size of each file that can be uploaded is 50 MB.

skydriveadd    skydrive uploading

Ok, so all my team members are Gmail users and they mightn’t be willing to sign up for Windows Live to view my files, so, here’s what I did. Chose Send a link from my specified folder as shown below (right). Added whoever I wanted and essentially checked the Don’t require recipients to sign in with Windows Live ID option and sent. You can revoke these permissions whenever you choose to.

sendalink  sdsendlink

Windows Live SkyDrive has a very appealing and easy to use interface. You literally carry whatever you want with your mails et al. You should definitely try this one out!

3 comments:

Varun Arur said...

I have tried skydrive. I dont think it lets you view the file in the web browser itself. You have to download each and every file to view it, which I think is cumbersome. I have switched to google docs which I am comfortable with sharing and since gmail users are common nowadays, its even more easier to share. This is my views about it, coz I share a lot of homeworks and assignments with my classmates. Its easier for a user to correct a particular document on the web page without downloading, editing and re-uploading it back to the server. I haven't had the patience to explore more features of skydrive though.

Varun Arur said...

I also encourage people to try out Amazon's S3 which is a virtual server. Its a good product if you have money to spare.

Ni said...

i know...that is cumbersome...downloading and editing but i prefer skydrive since I'm a primary hotmail user. I do have a gmail account which I check very rarely though

 
Design by Pocket