Recruitment Fiasco

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

cgon215l

It's that time of the year when you companies will start trickling in to hunt for freshers and hire them. After attending TCS, Infosys, Aptuit, Tesco, Novellus I'm simply not bothered anymore or so I think. Of all these companies I reached the personal interview stage save for Infosys and Tesco. However the interviews conducted by Novellus and Aptuit were utmost in professionalism. TCS was a nightmare. It was the first that came to our college. I thought I really had a good chance but fortunately destiny had something else in store. All through the holidays I fervently hoped that I would get into TCS but I’m glad I didn't make it. Surprised? Initially, their company policies which were environment friendly really awed me until their interview procedure.

cgo0161l

The entire procedure was so horribly organized, wasting a lot of our time! Some very good students in my class didn’t make it 'cause they were too good like they reached the upper cutoff crap and all that. My interviewer actually gives me the feedback much later that I never maintained eye contact. What the hell?? I'm sure I can't talk without looking at the person...I don't know about others but I can never do that. So, even though I didn't get through I'm glad because I know I would have never been able to fit in such a kind of a place. Novellus personal interview was really good. It was designed in such a way which tested your process of thinking rather than the result and it gave me a lot of confidence. Though I didn't make it to the final PI at Bangalore, I realized that in some aspects of my field I’d been underestimating myself. I loved the way how they gave people who were asked to write programs during their interview their own time and didn't rush them but made them feel comfortable. But again, no regrets because I learnt a lot and they were heavily into semiconductors and all.

Now, again 2 more companies lined up. What's going to be my approach? Nothing. I'll just be myself. If asked I won't hesitate to tell that temper, impatience are my shortcomings! Come on, you think everyone who works in the company are all perfect sans any shortcomings? So what if I'm that way, it doesn't make me lesser than someone who can go out and win the world. If I don't try I'll never know. Nor will I distort my perception to suit the 'right' politically correct thing not that I did it till now but I was always told to give politically correct answers, to do this and not do that and all those things.

So this time, the idea is to be completely me and be completely at ease. At any rate before college ends, I want to try out all possible styles of answering interviews and see what happens! After all, it's just a job not the end of my life! right? In the end, whatever happens, happens for good. It's like one of those dark gifts. It seems horrible at first but only later we realize what happened was for the best. smile_wink

2 comments:

Unknown said...

>>temper, impatience

put it diplomatically,eg


impatience---i'll not rest not rest till i get results

temper--- i take things seriously

:)

Ni said...

hmmm...that's a good approach...thanks for the tip :)

 
Design by Pocket